More work on airport planning is underway. The latest contract for environmental analyses concerns the STH hub, i.e. the areas intended for the construction of a new airport along with the railway station and the railway “spokes” crossing there.
The contract concluded by the Solidarity Transport Hub Poland company with ArupPolska is worth PLN 32 million net. By the end of 2021, the contractor has undertaken to carry out the pre-construction environmental survey together with the submission and approval of state of the environment reports. The contract also provides for subsequent provision of, among others, an environmental impact report, environmental consent decision, water permits and rural rezoning decisions.
The pre-construction environmental survey which is one of the elements of the contract concluded, will cover an area significantly larger than the airport and rail investment itself together with its nearest surrounding, i.e. the assumed 74 sq. km. The surveys will be carried out in four sub-areas:
- the “A0” is an area of analysing abiotic components of the environment and groundwater records, in the immediate vicinity of the Solidarity Airport (with an area of 157 sq. km),
- A – full survey of plant and animal species for the location of airport, road and rail investments around the hub (340 sq. km),
- B – buffers for the survey of the bird and bat species (794sq. km)
- C – survey of bird species likely to pose a potential risk to air traffic (1,055 sq. km)
This is the most important of the STH environmental analysis contracts. First of all, it concerns the new airport site along with railway station, railway lines and road infrastructure. However, the contract will cover a significantly larger area due to, among others, specific requirements for the survey of airports
The scope of work will cover not only documents related to the pre-construction environmental survey, but also the documents necessary for the environmental impact assessment and other administrative proceduresrelated to the environmental protection, and which are then necessary, for example, to have the request for location decision completed by the STH.
While implementing this contract, naturalists will survey an area two times larger than the total surface area of Warsaw. All this so that when creating the Solidarity Airport, we interfere with the natural environment as little as possible
The STH will be the best connected place in the Central and Eastern Europe. Trains will reach the Solidarity Airport from 10 directions which will ensure connections between the STH and the majority of Polish regions in up to 2.5 hours. The Investment will ensure dynamic development of the entire region around the airport, including Błonie, Grodzisk Mazowiecki, Sochaczew and Żyrardów.
On those planned lines for which the survey contracts have already been signed, the surveys will start in the following order:
- Line No. 85 Warszawa Zachodnia – STH – Łódź Niciarnia with a length of 136 km (as an addition to a contract for a railway node signed today)
- Line No. 85 Łódź – Sieradz Północny – 55 km;
- Line No. 86 Sieradz Północny – Kępno – 63 km;
- Line No. 86 Kępno – Czernica Wrocławska – 60 km;
- Line No. 86 Czernica Wrocławska– Wrocław Główny – 23 km;
- Lines No. 267 and 268 Żarów – Świdnica – Wałbrzych– State border – 62 km;
- Lines No. 58 and 632 Łętownia — Rzeszów – 42 km;
- Lines No. 54 and 56 Trawniki – Krasnystaw Miasto and Wólka Orłowska – Zamość – 46 km;
- Line No. 29 Ostrołęka – Łomża – 32 km.
According to the programmes, the STH company is planning to start the first construction works by the end of 2023 and to complete them by the end of 2027. After their execution, the travel times will shorten, e.g. from Warsaw to:
- Łódź – 45 min;
- Sieradz – 1 h 15 min;
- Wrocław – 1 hour 55 min;
- Zamość – 2 h 15 min.
In addition, a new connection will be established from Warsawto Łomża (today it is one of the largest cities in Poland with no train connections) – 1 h 20 min.
The STH railway investments include in total almost 1,800 km of new lines to be constructed by the end of 2034 (of which 530 km are to be completed together upon the airport commissioning). Thanks to the STH investments, a total of 179 districts will be communicated by high-speed railway connections and 24 million people will be within direct reach of a new railway network.